In the Sector for Toll Collection, regarding the business activities of the Enterprise, activities of tolling, video supervision, analysis and control, transport and protection of money and structures, as well as administrative-technical activities related to operation of this Sector are performed.
Sector for Toll Collection includes the following departments:
Through the Sector for Toll Collection, Public Enterprise “Roads of Serbia” charges the motorway usage (toll) on the following sections:
Belgrade-Sid (Croatian border)
Belgrade-Subotica (Hungarian border)
On the sections Belgrade-Nis and Belgrade-Sid toll is collected within the closed toll collection system, while on the on the sections Nis-Leskovac and Belgrade-Subotica toll is collected within the open toll collection system.
Toll is collected on motorways and semi-motorways in the total length of 603 km, through the automatic technical toll collection system. The system consists of 38 toll stations.
The solution of the toll system represents a complex management transaction system totally modular, based on “PC” technology, with the usage of contemporary operative systems for operating in real time and total protection in data transmission.
Users are enabled to choose the method of toll payment on all toll stations:
- payment toll with payment cards (VISA, VISA Electron, MASTERCARD, MAESTRO, POSTCARD, DINACARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS)
- electronic toll collection - payment without stopping (on the motorway section from Belgrade to Croatian border)Users who pay toll in cash or with a card will have to stop on toll stations, but the vehicles with contemporary electronic devices, TAGs, will pass through the toll station in full speed. They will make the payment with “electronic money” via TAGs and the amount of toll will be deducted from the sum the user has paid in advance and “inscribed” on the TAG.Toll collection system enables interoperability with contemporary toll systems in Europe.
ELECTRONIC TOLL COLLECTION
Electronic toll collection (ETC) is a way of contactless payment, where vehicles pass on entry/toll lane. Transaction is automatic between battery powered transponder (TAG) placed on the interior side of the windshield and special short range communication system with antenna mounted on the eaves above entry/toll lane.
Devices for electronic toll collection are currently active on the section Belgrade - Šid, and until the end of 2007, the introduction of ETC on the sections Belgrade-Subotica (Hungarian border), Belgrade-Niš and Niš-Leskovac is planned.
On front pay toll stations and bigger lateral pay toll stations, there is at least one separate passage which is used for electronic toll collection, while entry/toll lanes on smaller lateral pay toll stations (without any conditions for separate ETC lanes) will be combined for manual and ETC payments.
When a vehicle equipped with TAG device approaches exit fast lane, furnished with ETC equipment, antenna on the eaves detects the TAG device present, reads the memorized data and if the communication is successful, the display will show vehicle category, toll amount, means of payment and the remaining amount on the account. The ramp is raised and the vehicle leaves the exit lane.
TAG user can be any legal entity or natural person that signs Contract with the PE “Roads of Serbia” and takes over ETC device (TAG) with adequate remuneration and pays the starting subscription, which makes the TAG valid for usage. One TAG can be used only for one vehicle of relevant category.
Contract signing and TAG purchase can be done on PE “Roads of Serbia” sales locations or at the authorized distributors, where the user takes over the TAG with remuneration in the amount set by the decision of the PE “Roads of Serbia” valid on the date of Contract signing and which forms constituent part of ETC General Conditions. At the moment, remuneration in the amount of RSD 1950 is to be paid for the takeover of TAG with support stand. Minimum prepaid amount is RSD 1500 and the credit can be added repeatedly for the desired amount. TAG does not have any time limitations regarding its usage. TAG is activated with the takeover and payment of the starting subscription and the following data are entered: vehicle registration number, road category and the amount of the paid toll.
This cashless way of toll payment on Serbian motorways, with the toll paid in advance, enables the following:
- Toll collection without stopping on specially marked toll lanes, by which possible peak-hour congestions caused by reduced passability on pay toll stations are avoided
- Simplicity of toll collection by avoiding cash payment and unnecessary stopping
- Transaction time is much shorter- More transactions in shorter time period
- Reduced number of employees