Regarding the ungrounded comments in public concerning the price of construction of the section Novi Beograd-Surčin, which is a part of the motorway Miloš Veliki, the PE “Roads of Serbia” would like to point out to relevant facts regarding this project, which had an impact on the contracted value of the works.
Not wishing to deal with the reasons or intentions of those who comment on the value of works in the media without being acquainted with the details of the project, our view is that, for the sake of the citizens of Serbia, it is important for the public to be informed on all the facts that had an impact on the contracted value of the works, in order to avoid being a target of ungrounded comments of ex-ministers, as well as various “experts” who do not have a single kilometer of constructed road behind them.
The commercial contract on the design and contracting of works on the construction of the new section Novi Beograd-Surčin, was signed on 18th August 2019 by the Government of the Republic of Serbia, the PE “Roads of Serbia” and the Chinese company “China communications construction company” (CCCC), and it is worth 70.5 million dollars.
The section Novi Beograd-Surčin is of exceptional importance for the functioning of the entire corridor “Miloš Veliki“ (Motorway E-763), having in mind the fact that it represents the connection of the City of Belgrade with the new motorway and at this moment it represents the missing “link“ at the beginning of the entire route. The length of the section is 7.9 km and it stretches from the street Vojvođanska ulica in New Belgrade, where a roundabout is planned and all the way to the future interchange “Surčin”.
The subject section is, among other things, also specific because, unlike previous projects on the construction of motorways, it passes through the settled, city area, which implies specific demands regarding the construction technology as a result:
- The construction of cycling and pedestrian lanes along the section has been planned, which, as a result, has a wider profile (base) of the entire motorway and significantly larger quantities of works. Cycling and pedestrian lanes are planned for both sides of this road, in the width of 2.0m and 2.20m respectively. Having that in mind, the width of a normal cross-section of this section is up to 47.2m. Also, considering the fact that the motorway itself is wider, it requires objects for the crossing of this road with the local roads (bridges, overpasses and underpasses) to be larger than it is usually the case. The design implies the construction of five bridges and one overpass in total, and also crossings with the local roads will be carried out with four intersections and one junction; a
- The design foresees the placing of large quantities of material for the construction of the road, especially sand and stone aggregate, due to the profile wider than that of the standard motorway, which, taking into account the “city” location of the section and a short construction deadline, requires greater expenses due to the necessity to engage a larger number of vehicles and equipment on longer transport distances.
- The aforementioned crossings with local roads will be on relatively short distances, taking into account the length of the section. In accordance with that, the construction of the stated objects on shorter distances requires the application of specific technologies for construction and results in significant increase of construction cost.
- Since the future works will be entering residence zones, they will have to be carried out under strictly controlled conditions while applying complex measures in order to limit and/or eliminate negative impacts on the inhabitants (negative impacts on the environment, the noise etc.), which results in significant increase of expenses. Also, since the section passes through the protected water source area, the drainage of the roads is planned to be within the storm drain system where the rain is collected using the planned floodways, treated in those places and such reclaimed water is discharged into the canals, which significantly increases the construction cost;
- The subject motorway section implies specific requirements and measures for the technology of traffic flow during the construction, in order to minimize the negative impact of the works on the inhabitants.
We would also like to point out that in the Republic of Serbia budget for 2019, prepared in the last quarter of 2018, credit loans at Chinese banks at 85% of the project's value were planned for this project, i.e. 60 million dollars, and 100% of the project's value, i.e. 70.5 million dollars, corresponds to the contracted value of the works.